Puppy School classes and COVID-19
There is now some slight movement in the Government’s industry guidelines and it is now possible for people from different households to meet outside and inside in most places in the UK if socially distanced. This means that it is possible to run classes in an outside space or inside a hall in some areas. However, our tutors will only offer 'in person' classes if they feel that they can adhere to the current guidelines whilst still offering the high-quality service that we are used to providing.
In order to find out what sort of service your local Puppy School tutor is offering, please go to the puppy class locator to put in your postcode to find a class near to you and contact your nearest tutor.
Our Puppy School tutors will only host live group classes if they can assure limited risks to both puppies, clients and themselves. This will very much depend on their individual circumstances in their area and if they can safely adhere to the latest Government guidelines. In addition, our Puppy School Online puppy training classes are still running and have been tested extensively across our network. We are delighted to advise that it is working really well for us with lots of happy customers and puppies.
Online technology for hosting puppy classes is incredibly effective and there are many benefits for our Puppy School Online training package. Our experienced tutors will use clear technique demonstration videos with personal teaching and coaching to teach your puppy all the basic commands as well as recall and loose lead walking. Online classes gives you the opportunity to practice safely at home with no lower age limit and no waiting for vaccinations to be completed. Online classes also help your puppy with desensitisation and life experience lessons which will help your puppy grow in confidence.
What are the benefits of Puppy School Online?:
- Keep safe by training in the comfort of your own home/garden.
- Teach your puppy all the basics commands as well as recall and loose lead walking. Help your puppy with desensitisation and life experience lessons to help them grow in confidence.
- No distractions of a training class – you get to practise in the comfort of your own home, where your puppy will inevitably be more settled.
- Small groups – we take no more than 4 puppies into each online course, allowing lots of time for individual coaching.
- No travelling to classes – it is literally in your living room.
- Start as soon as you have your puppy home and settled – there is no need for vaccinations ahead of starting your online classes and the early start is hugely beneficial in your puppy’s development
- Experience lots of encouragement and support from one another as well as your Puppy School tutor
- Involve the whole family (if you want to!) and not be limited by numbers attending classes. Children are of course welcome to take part in the training with you.
- Avoid the unpredictable weather eg: outdoor classes having to be cancelled as it's too hot, cold, wet, windy, stormy etc.
- Forget about social distancing rules, protective wear and COVID-19 hygiene requirements whilst training.
- Work without the distraction of other people, puppies, smells and a new place to explore.
- Work without your puppy getting frustrated or anxious because they cannot interact with other puppies and people in the class
Puppy School are taking health and safety measures very seriously to ensure that we keep clients, puppies and our staff safe during these times.
Puppy School curriculum - What will my puppy learn?
Puppy School is a set of six puppy training classes lasting one hour. The comprehensive programme has been carefully designed to take you through all the obedience basics giving you a good foundation for life with your new puppy or for any dog training sport you choose to do later.
The puppy training exercises gradually progress from easy to more complex, building on your puppy's understanding and reliability each week.
Due to the variable cost of the halls we hire to run our puppy classes, the cost of our six week course will vary. Please contact your local tutor for course price information in your area.
You will learn how to teach your puppy to:
- Come when called
- Sit, lie down, stand on command
- Walk on a loose lead without pulling
- Get used to being handled and examined for vets and groomers
- 'Gentle’ (taking food from hands gently)
- Accept people near to food bowls, bones and chews
- Stop play biting
- Socialise with an adults, children, and other puppies attending class
- Greet people appropriately without jumping up
Please note we cannot guarantee the attendance of children to help socialise your puppy, but we do encourage families with children to bring them to class to learn how to train their puppy and to interact positively with other puppies in the class.
Reward-based puppy training
Only reward-based puppy training methods are used at Puppy School. Treats, toys and praise are used to encourage puppies to be well behaved. No bullying or rough handling is tolerated.
Is it fun?
Puppy School tutors are chosen for their people-skills as well as their puppy training abilities. Encouragement and praise are used to help you acquire the skills you need to train your puppy. No humiliation or shaming of owners will occur and all lessons are fun and sociable with a happy, friendly atmosphere.
Puppies will be allowed to play in carefully controlled small groups to ensure they learn good manners around other puppies, do not get scared, and do not learn to play roughly or aggressively. Puppies will be matched for size, age, and experience, and play will be carefully supervised to ensure that all puppies learn to be confident with others.
Please note that, in some classes, the mix of puppies may make it impossible to conduct puppy play sessions safely. Puppy play sessions will only be offered if they can be run without causing harm.
Throughout the course, your behaviour-trained Puppy School tutor will be on hand to help you with any behaviour problems.
Practise makes perfect
All our Puppy School clients will receive a free Puppy School manual (sponsored by www.naturesmenu.co.uk) as an accompaniment to our classes.
Our Puppy School Manual will allow you to read back through class sessions and to practice training at home.
Although all the information you will need to train your puppy will be given to you in class, you will need to set aside time every day to practise the exercises at home to make the most of the ideas you have been given. Training at home will allow you to progress further in class and will result in a better trained puppy at the end of the six weeks.
To help with this, our Puppy School Manual includes detailed and helpful information on what your tutor taught during each week of the course. Instructions are broken down in nice, easy, readable little exercises allowing all the family to get involved with the weekly training.
Our Puppy School Manual also includes informative information about what to expect at classes, what to bring with you each week, how to help your puppy to prepare for the car journey, details on the importance of playing and bonding with your puppy as well as information about Natures Menu, who have been creating 100% real, natural, wholesome food for pets for over thirty-five years.
Too old for puppy training at Puppy School classes?
Puppies need to be under 20 weeks of age at the start of the course so that they are all at a similar stage of development. This allows them to play together easily. Since good classes get booked up quickly, it is recommended that you reserve your place in a puppy training class nearest to you as soon as can, even before you get a puppy if possible. It is never too late for puppy training and, if your puppy is older, you can still use the Puppy School books, DVD and CD for puppy training at home. In addition, some of our tutors also offer classes for older puppies and adult dogs so it is worth checking with your nearest tutor.
Regular monitoring for Puppy School classes
Classes are monitored regularly to ensure high standards. All Puppy School Tutors are well trained in the latest training techniques, as well as in human and animal behaviour. Regular refresher courses and an email forum for tutors ensure they stay up-to-date.
For further information, please go to "What to Expect at Puppy School Classes" pages
For our Puppy School class terms and conditions, please click here